It is a bright, too-hot-to-be-true morning here in Lahore. And while all I can think about is iced teas and chilled smoothies, I’m trying my best not to. Summer body and all you see. 😂
But summer has got my mind going on another track too. Not the vacations, not yet. But a more imperative one. Taking care of my skin.
I’m the least girly girl around the block, and skin creams and all have never been my thing. Mostly because I looked too much up to my brothers to do anything I knew they wouldn’t like (or that they would make fun of). And also because I never really thought that anything other than washing my face could do much wonders.
But, my sister has proved me wrong. Not only has she taught me that every part of our body, from the tip of our toe nails to the tips of our hair should be pampered, but with her example she has proven that the said care does nothing but wonders for us and our self esteem (believe me, even if you have tones of it, you will still get more).
So, with all her advice in mind and with some of my own tried and tested experiments, I’ve come up with a daily regime that’s actually been doing quite well for me.
Here is a snippet of the regime.
1. Wash your face before bed, with your favorite face wash ( I use Neutrogena, deep cleanse face wash). It not only washes off all the dirt from the day, but also, as your skin undergoes turnover through the night and manages its pH, bringing it all back to the homeostatic conditions (perfect for a clean, glowing skin), it helps to have a clean slate for that. And for the same reasons, don’t wash your face with anything strong the next morning if you want to seal in the goodness your body worked all night to bring to you.
2. Moisturize after the wash. Again, don’t go for something too strong. I use tea tree skin clearing lotion (shown above). And it’s amazing. Not too strong, plus very relaxing and soothing. Just two drops and I’m good.
3. Use a nail strengthener. My nails had been chipping off more than ever, and their condition took a turn for the worst with the summer heat. Cue Essence nail oil (shown above), for making them stronger and smoother. I apply it after moisturizing, right before I go to bed for the oil doesn’t dry quickly and I can hardly do anything after.
4, Wake up fresh. How? Do a bit of yoga before anything else, for ten to fifteen minutes. And if you spot any dark circles? Put a cold spoon and press downwards and outwards on them. As you follow that with a bath or a wash, try to avoid anything too strong for your face. I opt for Dove in the mornings and usually avoid any facewash or toner.
5. Slow down for a drink of water. I have heard it so much, but I’ve only realized the worth of this tip after trying it out. And in summers, it becomes that much more important. The difference is that of a fresh flower in front of a wilted one. (💐>🌵)
6. Sun block. I recently started using Loreal’s sunblock, mixed a bit with my bb- from Garnier- and the result has been better than ever before. It doesn’t come off easy, it doesn’t become patchy nor does it clump with the heat on my skin. Plus, it looks as if I have nothing on my face. Best. Thing. Ever.
7. Chapstick. Summer means dried up, well, everything due to the decreased water in you (thanks sweat). Specifically dried up lips. Avoid that flakey look and keep them healthy with a good Chapstick. I use body shop’s Lip care SPF 15 which have vitamin E too. Win win. 👄
8. Mascara. For a bright, woken up, lasts-all-day look, add a swipe of mascara. (I can’t take any other make-up, but if you want, add more as you want.) And, for the sake of it, add some perfume. (I’m in love with Marks and Spencer Florentyna pictured above. )
There. That’s my daily skin regime, and it sits well with my college routine. For an overly special day, I add a swipe of my favorite amber rose lipstick, pictured above.
What’s yours for summers? Do tell me.
Till next time, love,